Friday, May 7

Trifari Company History

The Trifari Company was founded by Gustavo Trifari, an Italian immigrant who arrived at Ellis Island from Napoli in 1904 at the age of 20. In 1910 he founded "Trifari and Trifari" with his uncle. Gustavo's uncle left the company a few years later, and Gustavo continued the company under the name of "Trifari." It's no wonder that Italian collectors love to buy Trifari Vintage Jewelry, as Gustavo is one of their own.

Leo Krussman joined Trifari in 1917, and Carl Fishel joined as head of sales in 1925. The company name was then changed to "Trifari, Krussman and Fishel" and the logo "KTF" (with an enlarged "T" at the center). Trifari Vintage Jewelry pieces from this era are extremely rare.

In 1930 Trifari hired Alfred Philippe as head designer, and that is when the company began to really take off. Philippe's background designing very high end fine jewelry for firms like Cartier and Van Cleef and Arples brought a wonderful sense of luxury and style to the company. The Trifari Vintage Jewelry Designs he created have the style and glamour of fine jewelry and were very popular.

Charming Vintage Trifari Elephant Pins designed and patented by Alfred Philippe for Trifari in 1952:

Philippe continued to work at Trifari until his retirement in 1968. I'll discuss Alfred Philippe and other Trifari Vintage Jewelry Designers in future posts, along with some photos of their jewelry.

In the 1940's the company name was changed back to "Trifari" and the famous Trifari Crown logo was stamped on the pieces. For detailed information and photos of Trifari Vintage Jewelry Marks, see the guide on my web site: Trifari Jewelry Marks.

Trifari continued to be run by its founder and sons until 1975, when the company was sold to Hallmark Jewelry Company. In 1988 the company was sold to Crystal Brands, and in 1994 sold to Chase Capital Partners and Lattice Holding Company, a division of the Monet Group. During that time, high end, collectible Trifari jewelry was produced for sale on QVC. Many of these were Limited Editions, and collectors highly prize them as the last of the signed Trifari Jewelry.

In 2000 the Monet Group was purchased by Liz Claiborne and production was moved overseas, which brought an end to the high quality signed Trifari jewelry. Liz Claiborne Inc. continues to produce Trifari jewelry overseas, but these are lesser quality unsigned pieces that are on Trifari cards.

I'll be creating a page on my web site with photos of Trifari designs from the various eras. Until then, please enjoy browsing my stores for collectible Trifari Vintage Jewelry, as well as Beautiful Vintage Jewelry from other designers, at the following links:
My Classic Jewelry Etsy Shop
My Classic Jewelry eBay Store

25 comments:

  1. I thank you for this post. Am researching some old family jewelry and found this very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one of the best research articles I have read when it comes to searching jewelry comp. history's. It was very readable and to the point. Thank you gfor taking the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend gave me a hammer pin by this company. When was this made and why a hammer? Seems an odd thing to be made into a pin. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, I've never seen the hammer. But if it has the Trifari signature, then it's most likely Trifari. You can check the signatures in my guide at
      http://www.myclassicjewelry.com/Trifari/Marks/TrifariMarksIntro.htm

      Delete
  4. are all pieces from the 1940's signed by Alfred Philippe? And do all have the Trifari signature?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alfred Phillippe was Trifari's head designer from 1930 to 1968. He did have a team of designers working under him and until 1955 all of the Trifari trademark documents for designs he and his team developed had his signature on them. ALL vintage Trifari is signed. Newer pieces produced overseas after 2000 are not signed. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have searched the and googled for the year Trifari made a Purple tote canvas beach bag signed and cannot find anything on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently came across a gorgeous large brooch [with family estate items] with lovely prong set Rhinestones that is marked Trifari Patent Pending on the back. Without your seeing this, how old would you say that particular mark puts this piece? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. where can i buy wholesale trifari jewelry

    ReplyDelete
  9. did trifari make any cameo jewelry?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am interested in any information you might have on which designers made which pieces. My grandfather also worked for Trifari as a designer. His name was John Caianiello.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Before my mother passed away she gave me some fine jewelry yet one of my favorite pieces is a Trifari brushed gold pin of a spray of leaves dotted with pearls. I've seen several similar pieces. I believe she purchased hers in Macy's San Francisco in the 1970s or 80s. I'm now interested in collecting vintage Trifari. They timeless and classic in addition to being well made.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a set of Trifari consisting of a necklace, braclet & screw back earrings. The necklace is made up of two large bunches of grapes in shades of amber. The grapes look like small marbles. A bunch is on each end of a gold "snake" chain that hooks the two bunches together in the front. The grapes on the braclet go across the top of your wrist & is attached to the same type of "snake" chain as the necklace, but hooks with a clasp stamped "Trifari". The earings are also made up of the glass "marbles". They don't hang down they stay up by the ear lobe. Is anyone familiar with this set and approx. value? The set is probably early 50's. I believe my mother would have bought it before she was married in 1950.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fascinating - thanks for sharing information.
    My mother purchased two pieces of Crown Trifari from Harrows during the 1960s - the pendant has the hang tag. Both pieces feature a 3D mesh (sort of pineapple shaped, but not pineapple!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I found a Crown Trifari signed white scroll pendant on a 4 strand white chain. Interested in pricing, are you able to help?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am always amazed by posts asking for the value of their vintage jewelry on comments boards such as this. For those interested in the price of their vintage jewelry you can go to http://www.antique-jewelry-investor.com/vintage-or-antique-costume-jewelry-question.html
    The cost of an appraisal is only $7.99.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Other than jewelry or broached, has the trifari name been associated with portraits? I have an approx. 30" X 20" portrait signed "A. Trifari". It's appearance resembles one of the old Dutch Masters or renaissance painting. Background is Black a Younger wayfarer with part of a walking stick visible emerges from the black background.
    The canvas does not appear to be professionally framed. Likely framed sometime during the 1950's (materials used). I bought this item from the estate of a retired military Captain, who spent time in both Europe and later Japan. The Gentleman had many artifacts from both theatres. Many of his collections , including rare books, in impeccable condition. In short, a collector with a sharp eye. At first, I was afraid this painting may have been from German seized art objects during WWII. I FIND NO MENTION OF THE ARTIST OR THE PAINTING BY REVIEWING LISTS OF ART OBJECTS OF THAT PERIOD. PLEASE ADVISE OF POSSIBLE INTEREST IN THE ART WORLD. THANK YOU. GALLUP4646@COMCAST.NET :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I heard about this jeweler, he was an excellent and talented master. As far as I know now a lot of brands or jewelry stores like https://www.rockerring.com/ occasionally copy his famous work. It's not strange, because he did amazing things and left a big mark in the history of jewelry, is not it?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a Trifari Crown Ark Tiger pin with red stripes that I am trying to determine the value of.
    All I can find are the ones with black stripes. Can anyone give any advice?

    ReplyDelete
  19. All the history is fascinating. My mom sold costume jewelry and then went on to fine jewelry at Wieboldts in Chicago. (A midwest chain dept store from the 30s to the 90s.) All the costume jewelry names are some of first words I learned! I now have my mom's wonderful collection and info such as yours will steer me in the right direction. Choices are difficult but I will keep a few favorites and get the rest back in circulation for others to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good articles, Have you heard of LFDS (Le_Meridian Funding Service, Email: lfdsloans@outlook.com --WhatsApp Contact:+1-9893943740--lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com) is as USA/UK funding service they grant me loan of $95,000.00 to launch my business and I have been paying them annually for two years now and I still have 2 years left although I enjoy working with them because they are genuine Loan lender who can give you any kind of loan.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Si alguien se interesa yo tengo un pendiente marcado con trifai la Corona y la C al final

    ReplyDelete

View Trifari Vintage Jewelry on eBay